LL.B., LL.M., JD, LL.M. Taxation,
Raphael Barchichat is a tax lawyer and tax partner at PSB Boisjoli’s accounting firm in Montréal, Quebec. Raphael specialises in Canadian and international tax, and corporate reorganisation. His clients range from local to international, with many files requiring his expertise in individual and corporate tax planning, as well as estate planning. The scope of Raphael’s tax practice extends to the taxation of corporations, trusts, and partnerships, both for Canadians and non-residents. Raphael also handles every step of the tax dispute settlement process, managing audits and oppositions, and negotiating with tax authorities. The type of industry he focuses on is everything that has complex tax challenge to resolve (other than public companies, insurance, oil and gas, mining and banks).
For several years, Raphael has taught taxation and business law as a part-time lecturer at HEC Montréal, which is affiliated with the Université de Montréal. Altogether he has contributed to more than 100 conferences and publications on Canadian tax law. In addition to being a member of the Quebec bar, Raphael is also an active member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF), the Ontario Bar Association and the International Fiscal Association (IFA).
Raphael serves as the legal counsel to two major Quebec foundations. In addition, Raphael presently sits on the training and writing committees for the Canadian Tax Foundation. Fluent in English and French, Raphael is perfectly bilingual. On top of his regular clients, Raphael acts as a tax advisor for more than 20 professional firms (lawyers, accountants and others) throughout Canada and the United States.
Raphael holds six university degrees in law and taxation: a Bachelor of Civil Law from the Université de Montréal; a Juris Doctor in Transnational Law from the Université de Sherbrooke; a law degree from the Université du Québec à Montréal; a Specialized Graduate Diploma in Tax Law from HEC Montréal; a Master in Common Law from the Université de Sherbrooke; and a Master in Tax Law from the Université de Montréal. For all six of these degrees, Raphael’s outstanding academic achievement has earned him Citations of Excellence. To further his professional development, Raphael has completed several of the courses offered by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Education and Professional Affiliations
- Master in Tax Law (LL.M. Tax), Université de Montréal. Citation of Excellence with Very High Distinction.
- Juris Doctor (JD), Université de Sherbrooke. Citation of Excellence with Very High Distinction.
- Master in Common Law (LL.M.) Université de Sherbrooke. Citation of Excellence with High Distinction.
- Specialized Graduate Diploma in Tax Law, HEC Montréal. Citation of Excellence with Very High Distinction.
- Bachelor of Civil Law (LL.B.), Université de Montréal. Citation of Excellence with Very High Distinction.
- Certificate in Labour Law, Université du Québec à Montréal. Citation of Excellence with Very High Distinction.
- In-Depth Tax Course, Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada.
Awards and Distinctions
- Awarded Citations of Excellence with high or very high distinction by four Canadian universities.
- Finalist in the annual Junior Chamber International (JCI) World Congress Quebec (RJCCQ) – 2013.
- Recipient of the Pro Bono Award, KPMG Canada – 2012.
- Finalist in the Lawyer of the Month competition, Pro Bono Quebec – 2012.
- Finalist for Lawyer of the Year of the Quebec Bar of Montréal – 2011.
- National Professional Award, KPMG Canada – 2010.