Thomas Copeland was called to the bar in 1997, and now has nearly two decades of experience practicing tax law. Before he joined the PSB BOISJOLI team as a partner in 2014, Thomas was also a partner at a major international law firm.
Thomas is best known for his considerable knowledge of Canadian and international tax law. He provides a broad range of services, including corporate financial planning, with advice on tax structure, financing, tax minimisation, shareholder’s equity, borrowings, and taxation. He also advises his clients, who are both residents and non-residents of Canada, on international and cross-border matters such as Canadian investment abroad and the structure of local and foreign investment entities.
Thomas’ communication skills and energy are highly regarded. He has given conferences to the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Fiscal and Financial Planning Association, and other organisations. He was a professor of international tax law at the University of Montreal until 2014.
Thomas is an experienced and trusted advisor who provides value-added services and concrete results for every file he takes on. His professionalism and creativity make this accomplished lawyer one of our firm’s key assets.
Education and Professional Affiliations
- Master of Laws (LL.M), York University, Osgoode Hall Law School – 1998
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B), Laval University – 1995
- Bachelor of History, Laval University – 1995
- Called to the Quebec Bar – 1997
- Canadian Tax Foundation – 1998-present
- Fiscal and Financial Planning Association – 1998-present
- International Fiscal Association – 2003-present
- Montreal Startupfest, Board of Directors – 2014-present
- NDG Soccer Association, Coach – 2015-present
*Operating via a professional services corporation