On March 21, 2019 the Quebec Minister of Finance, Eric Girard tabled Budget 2019-2020. This Budget “reaffirms the government’s commitment to put money back in the pockets of Quebecers” with the assertion that “within five years, $5.2 billion will have been put back in peoples’ pockets”.
To help achieve this statement, this Budget proposes:
- gradual standardization of school tax rates;
- gradual elimination of the additional contribution for childcare;
- increase in the exemption for support payments in respect of dependent children;
- enhancement of the incentive for workers aged 60 or over to extend their career;
- extension of the Drive Green
In addition, Budget 2019-2020 announced new measures to continue to foster the Tax Fairness Action Plan. Some of the measures announced include the following;
- strengthen the mandatory disclosure mechanism and improve the rules governing the use of nominees;
- block access to public contracts for businesses and promoters that have used abusive tax avoidance strategies;
- continued concerted actions to fight tax evasion;
- increase tax compliance in respect of transactions on financial markets.
PSB BOISJOLI presents the highlights of the tax measures contained in the 2019 Québec Budget.